Is Your Dog Ready For Flea & Tick Season?
We hope you’re as pumped as we are for a summer full of dog parks, swimming, and long runs! But before you go into full summer fun mode you want to make sure your dogs are covered against fleas & ticks.
The tick and flea formula we recommend is simple: Topical Medication + Semi-Regular Bathing with Pet Shampoo = A Worry Free Happy Dog Summer.
There are a couple different flea/tick medications that work well. We carry and recommend Vectra 3D. Vectra 3D is a safe and effective all-in-one that repels and kills fleas, ticks, mosquitos, flies, lice, and mites (excluding Mange Mites).
On the shampoo side, we carry our own FMA brand Hypoallergenic Dog Shampoo. It’s a gentle and simple shampoo formula that will keep your dog feeling fresh and clean without stripping the Vectra from the skin like the medicated dog shampoos you see out there. It contains phytosphingosine that helps restore the skin’s barrier and helps fight skin irritations without reducing Vectra’s efficacy.
You can pick up Vectra 3D and our shampoo at FMA, as always for a fair and reasonable price!
Learn Thy Doggone Foe
External parasites (living on the outside of the body) are not just a nuisance for your pet and your family. These pests carry disease, stimulate allergies and contribute to skin and ear infections. Pets with external parasites tend to be itchy. Some external parasites can be seen with the naked eye (e.g.: fleas, ticks), however, others require a microscope to find. Some common external parasites that infect dogs and cats include:
- Fleas: When a single flea is found, this represents a mere 1% of the entire problem: the other 99% includes their eggs and larvae that are developing in your carpets and bedding.
- Ticks: Ticks represent an important cause of disease transmission.
- Cheyletiellia: A mite infection also known as walking dandruff.
- Lice: Appearance similar to dandruff. Lice on your pets are not contagious to people and vice versa.
- Ear mites: These microscopic mites inhabit the surface of the ear canal and surrounding facial skin.
- Scabies (or sarcoptic mange): Highly contagious infection caused by a microscopic mite. Scabies causes intense itching and can be transmitted to people.
Fortunately, there are many topical medications available to remove and treat these parasites. The Vectra 3D topical we carry takes care of them. Some animals require oral medications to clear the infection.